So now that I had the Buffalo Wing Cheddar, I set about to crafting it into a pizza. I knew I wanted there to be something sweet that would play off the spicy well, but although tomato sauce can be sweet, it can also have too much of a tangy bite that would compete with the spicy flavors. I settled on one of my favorite bases for a pizza or panini: beermelized onions. The Buffalo Wing Cheddar is super spicy (I mean it, don't over do it with this cheese!), and I knew I couldn't cover an entire pizza, for it would be overkill. Solution: a few slices of fresh mozzarella to balance things out and give a gentle creaminess to offset the spicy. Next question was how to prepare the chicken. As I mentioned, many pizzas with chicken overlook a key component: seasoning of the chicken. This small simple step enhances the flavor of the chicken so much, that it isn't just a boring piece of protein. I settled on pan-cooking boneless skinless chicken thighs seasoned with salt, pepper, and ground chipotle. Finished off with some Gorgonzola crumbles, and you have a great pizza to pair with your favorite IPA.
What you get is a complex pizza with a balance of sweet earthiness from the beermelized onions,spicy buffalo flavor, a touch of smokiness from the chicken, and a nice piquant kick from the Gorgonzola. This is Matt's newest favorite. He almost said it has unseated the spicy chicken sandwich....but then quickly made the distinction that they are two different dishes. My vote? This kicks the spicy chicken sandwich's butt. Another benefit of this pizza? You can cook the chicken and the beermelized onions any time before pizza assembly, and keep in the fridge for a couple days. Then you've got a fast assembly before baking and eating dinner.
For the Chicken:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, and seasoned with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and ground chipotle
- With a little olive oil in a pan, heat pan over medium heat
- Cook chicken thighs one side at a time, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes total, but do not over cook
- When cool enough to touch, chop into bite sized pieces
For the Pizza:
- Upon your favorite pizza dough, spread out the beermelized onions as a base
- Scatter chicken pieces
- Place fresh mozzarella slices atop pizza next
- Place grated Buffalo Wing Cheddar on next
- Scatter gorgonzola crumbles atop pizza (see below for a picture to see pre-cooked distribution of ingredients)
- Cook as you would any pizza
- If you are Matt, serve with blue cheese dip for the crusts