Makes 4 servings
- 3 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small/medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/8" half moons
- 2 fat cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle
- 1 28-ounce can, diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 2 TBS chopped cilantro
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- lime wedges, for finishing
- In a 4 qt. heavy bottomed sauce pan, render out bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add onion and carrot to pot and cook over medium low heat, stirring regularly until onions start to brown and carrots start to soften.
- Add spices and garlic, stir in pot for about a minute, toasting spices.
- Deglaze pan with a few TBS of water.
- Add can of tomatoes, including liquid.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and stir in cilantro
- When sauce begins to thicken, add chickpeas.
- Stirring regularly, continue simmering until most liquid is evaporated and chickpeas are warmed through
- Sprinkle bacon over top, and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime.