For the Lentils:
- 1 cup lentils, picked over
- 4 cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, whacked with knife to loosen skin, and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock (homemade or low sodium)
- 2 cups water
- Combine lentils, salt and water in a bowl and let sit for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325
- Combine lentils, garlic, bay leaf, water and chicken stock in a small dutch oven or medium sauce pan. Cover and place in the oven for 40-60 minutes, until lentils are tender. Drain and toss with dressing and vegetables immediately.
- While lentils are cooking, sauté carrots and onions in a little olive oil until softened. Toss with dressing and drained lentils.
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 TBS grated shallot
- pinch kosher salt
- few grinds black pepper
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound sausage links, hot or sweet
- 1/2 cup beer
To cook sausages:
- Prick sausages all over with a fork and place in a pan with beer and cover. Heat over medium heat until simmering, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Drain sausage of all liquid and fat, place back in pan over medium heat and brown slightly on both sides until cooked through, about 5 minutes total.
To finish as one-bite munchies:
- Fill pre-baked phyllo cups (available in freezer section of grocery store) with a TBS of lentil salad.
- Top each cup with a 1/4" disk of sausage
- Heat in a 350 oven for about 5 minutes and then serve.
To finish as a salad and/or with leftovers from one-bite munchies:
- Chop sausage into bite-sized pieces and toss with lentil salad.